|2007 Watershed Advisory Commission members pose with a slippery cake.|
On February 5, 2014, the Board of Managers appointed 23 District residents to our Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC). The District has reformed the CAC after more than a year of dormancy. In previous years the District has had several advisory groups assisting the education and natural resources programs. The District Board and staff felt the need to broaden the focus of the advisory committee to provide input to the District on a variety of issues and programs and be more knowledgeable about all the District activities.
Notices were placed in newspapers, our blog and our web site to solicit applications. Our hope was to get applications from throughout the District as well as representatives from schools, churches and businesses. We received 28 applications. Several applications were from individuals that did not reside in our District. They were referred to our adjacent Watershed Districts.
Our final list of members represent 10 of our 12 cities with additional members representing schools (2), a Master Gardener, a Master Naturalist, a business representative, a representative from the Ramsey and Washington Conservation Districts, a RWMWD Board liaison and six at-large members.
- Receiving information and education on the programs and activities of the District.
- Participating in the development and review of the District annual work program and budget.
- Completing tasks as assigned by the Board of Managers.
- Reviewing District plans, studies and projects and provide comments.
- Assisting District staff in public education, outreach and information activities and events.
- Developing community contacts and gaining an understanding of community attitudes and concerns about water management issues.
- Assisting staff in the planning and implementation of the Annual Recognition and Awards event.
- Participating and assisting in the planning and implementation of District tours.
- Providing volunteer support for WaterFest.
The appointees are as follows:
Category Recommended appointment
Roseville Linda Neilson
Little Canada Bob Stine
Maplewood Mark Gernes
Vadnais Heights Dana Larsen-Ramsay
White Bear Lake Laura Blonigan
Oakdale Michele Hanson
Woodbury Stephanie Wang
St. Paul William Zajicek
Ramsey County Mara Humphrey
Washington County George Weyer
RWMWD Board Liaison Marj Ebensteiner
Business Representative Denis McComas
School Representatives Randee Edmundson
Master Naturalist Karen Eckman
At-Large Kathryn Keefer
The first meeting of the CAC has not been scheduled, but is planned for mid-March.